Mary Queen of Scots House Jedburgh
Mary Queen of Scots Portrait, Jedburgh
Spend the day exploring the site in the Scottish Borders associated with Mary Queen of Scots. First stop of the day will be Mary Queen of Scots House in Jedburgh. A 16th Century Tower which was loaned to the Queen by the Kerrs of Ferniehurst. The Visitor Centre is open March to October and is free of charge. Donations are most welcome.
Next we will travel to Hermitage Castle, here Mary visited the badly wounded 4th Earl of Bothwell, James Hepburn. On her return to Jedburgh she fell from her horse and became very ill.
After lunch we will travel on to Traquair House. Mary stayed her and spent time hunting. There are several items which once belonged to the Queen on display. Traquair is Scotland's oldest continuously inhabited house. The Stuarts of Traquair were firm supporters of the Queen.
Winter option is Hume Castle, Mary stayed her for two days in 1566. It has a long History in the Borders.